Friday, March 11, 2011

Concerning Jonah and Grace

After I wrote to my blog here discussing Grace and Jonah, I was directed to and heard a podcast last evening with a Reformed Pastor being interviewed by a Prof. from a very popular Seminary. The topic of Jonah was brought up at around 7 minutes and 50 seconds. The program is about the Grace of God. The Pastor made a comment that Jonah couldn't understand why God would extend the same grace he would to Jonah toward Pagans (ie. Nineveh). Maybe that part is true. His conclusion was that Jonah didn't really understand the grace of God. I partially disagree with that. I believe he understood it but he might not have comprehended it. I will exhibit what I am saying below.

At 7:47 the host asks a good question, "When the Lord came to Jonah, what was it that Jonah really didn't understand?" To which the guest's conclusion was that Jonah operated with a real sense of entitlement and couldn't understand why God would extend the same grace to the Ninevite's that He would extend to Jonah and the Israelites. He believed Jonah's motivation was that if one lived a certain way God was obligated to bless him. So because of that Jonah didn't really understand grace. Maybe that is true. But I take a different approach in understanding Jonah.

First off it is revealed that Jonah truly understood that God was gracious and merciful even when he was still in his home land.

Jon 4:2) And he prayed unto the LORD, and said, I pray thee, O LORD, was not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil.


Jonah didn't want to go to Nineveh because he didn't want the Ninevites to have that opportunity at mercy and grace. His heart was hardened and bitter against Nineveh. They were a terrible persecuting people towards the Israelites. They caused much harm toward them. I actually possibly see this same attitude in St. Paul. Maybe I am incorrect.

(2Ti 4:14) Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works:


Did St. Paul not understand the grace of God?

Anyways, Jonah probably desired to see God's justice done unto Nineveh. He says that he understood God was a gracious God, merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, so that turned him to run away from the task. So I don't believe that Jonah didn't understand this about God.

I also don't think that Jonah didn't understand that he needed this same grace before he complained in anger towards God in Jonah chapter 4. For instance after he was spit up out of the fish he declared this.

(Jon 2:1) Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly,

(Jon 2:2) And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

(Jon 2:3) For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.

(Jon 2:4) Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.

(Jon 2:5) The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.

(Jon 2:6) I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.

(Jon 2:7) When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.

(Jon 2:8) They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy.

(Jon 2:9) But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.


Jonah knew he needed mercy and Grace. God was merciful and gracious toward Jonah by taking him low with hard providence so he could repent. God was graciously tough on Jonah so that Jonah could receive mercy and grace. God also did this so He could perform his work of mercy and Grace towards Nineveh through the work of Jonah.

I find the reasoning in the podcast off but that is me. I truly don't believe any of us comprehend the fullness of the mercy and grace of God. We understand it in ways but we still see with deceitful hearts and eyes. May he open our eyes and ears so that we may understand better. May he give us spiritual ears to hear and spiritual eyes to see so that we may grow in His grace.